Monday, March 5, 2018

Introductory Post EEND 681Z

Hello! My name is Melissa Eaton, and I am an Elementary ELL Teacher for District #204. Currently, I teach grades K-5, and each year I teach a variety of ages and English levels. I've been teaching since 2000, and I have worked in District #204 as an ELL teacher since 2007. Before that, I was a classroom teacher (of mostly ELL students) for grades 3, 4, and 6 in Cicero. Pretty much my entire career has been spent working with students from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds. I absolutely love the variety and the challenge involved in my job. I'm proud to work in a building where every class is like the United Nations; I can have ten students in a group and every single one of them has a different first language. I have all six grade levels K-5 this year, and I'm really hoping to learn something new and easy to implement that I can use with my students. I check out 10 Chromebooks every day, so I can function as a sort of 1:1, though many of my student still don't have technology access at home.

 I've been teaching since I had an actual chalkboard and no computer in my classroom. For most of my teaching career, though, I've had a single computer, and I have always integrated technology into my teaching as much as possible. I am one of the founding members of Teachers Pay Teachers, and I found out recently that one of my digital products was the first-ever sale on the site. I'm fairly comfortable with technology, and I feel like it's my responsibility to integrate technology into my teaching in a way that benefits my students and gives them the skills they need to succeed. My district will be 1:1 with Chromebooks as of 2018-2019, so I want to be ready for that transition.

 Actually, until the fall of 2016,  I'd never had a SmartBoard, just a projector that overheated multiple times a day. I was lucky enough to get the latest small classroom SmartBoard that has a screen more like a TV instead of using a projector. Since starting this instructional technology program, I have been integrating more and more of what I learn into my teaching. In addition, my second job is as an adjunct instructor for Benedictine University's graduate ESL endorsement courses, which are blended. This has required me to learn a great deal about online programs like Blackboard, Canvas, and D2L.

 On a personal level, I live in Plainfield with my husband, my two sons, and, most recently, my baby daughter. I've had a blog about my family since 2009, though I haven't done many posts since the baby was born. Using the blog as a kind of journal, my blogging varies in regularity. Using a blog, I can look back and remember not only the milestones from my children's lives but what I was thinking and feeling at the time.


1 comment:

Tuxford said...

Hi, sounds like you are already comfortable with technology and try to use it when its available. Its great to see how the USF classes are really benefiting teaching in the classroom. All good teachers continue to grow, learn, and teach. You are doing just that!